How to Make a Classic American Apple Pie from Scratch. World Cuisine Today Magazine
On the Holidays in my extended family there are many traditions. I come from a very diverse background of culinary abilities from many countries. One dessert loved by all was a rustic, home made Apple Pie. If making the crust from scratch seems difficult, I hope this recipe can help. There are also good brands of frozen ready made dough, or frozen filo dusted with butter and cinnamon that could also be used. Enjoy this new original recipe from World Cuisine Today Magazine www.worldcuisinetodaymagazine.com.
Homemade Apple Pie
Ingredients for the Crust
Two and a half cups all purpose flour or bread flour
Two sticks unsalted butter cut into one half inch cubes chilled very cold
One teaspoon iodized salt
One teaspoon granulated sugar
One quarter cup ice cold orange juice
Ingredients for the Filling
Six to Seven Cups Golden Delicious or Fuji Apples
One Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
One quarter cup real maple syrup
One half cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sweet ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon allspice
Three Tablespoons all purpose flour or bread flour
One Tablespoon light rum or Calvados apple brandy (optional)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
One beaten egg white sprinkled with one Tablespoon of sugar
You will need a nine inch pie plate and a bit of Canola oil or butter for greasing the pan.
For the Crust
1) In a food processer, with a mixer, or by hand, thoroughly blend the flour, sugar and salt.
2) Next mix the butter in one half and then the next half. I like to pulse in the food processor until the chunks of butter are no bigger than pea sized or less.
3) At the very last add your cold orange juice and pulse to mix or mix by hand but only enough to encorporate.
4) On a floured surface place your mixture. It should look shaggy and rough. Form two disks with wet clean fingers and wrap with plastic wrap. Avoid over mixing.
5) Chill for at least one hour and preferably until the next day.
6) On the day to make your pie, or after the hour has passed roll out your disks on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin so that it is slightly wider than nine inches across preferably ten to eleven inches.
For the Filling
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Grease your pie plate.
3) For the apples, peal and cut into one quarter to one half inch slices. Sprinkle with the lemon juice to keep them from browning.
4) Mix the sugar with the flour and spices in a bowl and toss with your apples. Next drizzle the apples lightly with the syrup folding it in.
5) Place one of your crusts in the pan and prick the bottom with a fork a few times.
6) Layer your apples into the crust and dot the top with the butter. Place the second crust over the top making sure there is about three quarter inch for each over the edge of the pan. Crimp with your fingers into a decorative V shape or with a fork press shut to make a design. Prick the top with a fork.
7) Place into the lower third of the oven and cover with foil for twenty minutes. Whisk your egg white until frothy and add the sugar to it. Paint the top of your pie crust in the last 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve at your next holiday gathering or special occasion.
World Cuisine Today Magazine
November 23, 2020
All Rights Reserved