Puerto Rican Rice with Green Legumes Arroz Con Gondules with Sofrito. World Cuisine Today Magazine
Enjoy this classic Arroz con Gondules, or Rice with Green Legumes (Pigeon Peas) Recipe at your next special holiday gathering. It goes well with a stewed Puerto Rican Chicken Dish, Roast Lamb or a Pernil Roast Pork often had during Christmas festivities. Enjoy this new recipe from World Cuisine Today Magazine. Stay tuned for more Puerto Rican Recipes from World Cuisine Today www.worldcuisinetoday.com
Simmered Rice with Pigeon Peas and Sofrito
Ingredients for the Sofrito
One large white or yellow onion minced
One cup banana or green Cubanelle peppers
One cup red bell peppers
One cup yellow bell peppers
Fifteen large garlic cloves minced
Two cups cilantro
Two cups flat leaf parsley
Four scallions (green parts only) minced
Two Roma Tomatoes minced
Three Tablespoons minced fresh Oregano or more to taste
One teaspoon Kosher style salt
One teaspoon sweet paprika
One half teaspoon cumin
Two fresh bay leaves minced
One quarter teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
Juice of one lemon
1. In a food processor mince up all the peppers after washing coring and seeding them. You may brown the peppers first for a more smoky flavor in a bit of olive oil if desired.
2. Next add the lemon juice, tomatoes, minced garlic and minced onions. Blend in batches if necessary. You may add a pinch of water if necessary.
3. At the last add your oregano, and dry spices.
Store in an airtight container drizzled with a bit of oil for use in rice, chicken and fish dishes.
Ingredients for the Rice with Pigeon Peas
Two cups medium long grain rice
Three cups high quality vegetable or chicken broth
One cup diced aged ham, diced bacon, or dark meat cooked chicken or lamb cubed lightly salted first
One and a half to two cups simmered pigeon peas or green lentils (cooked)
Two large yellow or white onions minced
Four large garlic cloves minced
One cup fresh diced tomatoes
One eighth of a cup minced olives with pimientos
Three Tablespoons capers (optional)
One cup sweet red pepper minced
One cup fresh Sofrito according to recipe above
One half cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil or melted unsalted butter
Two teaspoons sweet Paprika
One teaspoon Kosher salt
One half teaspoon ground black, green or pink pepper corns
One half teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Two fresh bay leaves minced
One cup fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley minced
1. In a large dutch oven or Caldero with a lid place your oil or butter and simmer your onions until just soft and slightly translucent. Next add your meat. Cook all together for another fifteen minutes. Take out with a slotted spoon and leave the oil/butter in the pan.
2. Adding a bit more oil or butter if necessary place in your rice and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, paprika, cardamom, cumin and bay. Saute for a few minutes making sure there is enough oil or butter not to burn one to two minutes. Next add the Sofrito, tomatoes and garlic. Saute one to two minutes more. Incorporate back in the meat, onion and remaining oil so that everything is evenly distributed throughout the rice. Add your broth. Bring everything to a boil and immediately simmer with the lid on for twenty five minutes or until all rice is fluffy and soft.
Serve your rice and pigeon peas with Puerto Rican Simmered Chicken Pieces or with a Pork or Lamb Roast.
World Cuisine Today Magazine
December 14, 2018
All Rights Reserved.