Chipotle Shredded Beef (Ropa Vieja) Tacos in a Slow Cooker or Caldero Pot
One of my favorite Mexican dishes is Beef Ropa Vieja which is a rich shredded beef stew, falling apart, and perfect for piling into your favorite tortilla, or on top of some nice fluffy rice. I like to simmer mine in beef broth, tomato, peppers, herbs, onion and more! Try is for family and friends this Cinco De Mayo Holiday Weekend. Find more exciting world recipes at: www.worldcuisinetoday.com
Beef Ropa Vieja Tacos for Cinco De Mayo
Three to four pounds beef chuck roast
Two cups diced fresh tomatoes with their juices
Three fresh bay leaves minced
One banana pepper chopped
Four chipotles peppers in adobo sauce minced
Eight large cloves of garlic minced
Four cups beef broth
One sweet onion minced
Juice of two lemons
Juice of one lime
One cup flat leaf parsley minced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
One teaspoon cinnamon
One tablespoon fresh thyme minced
One teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
One tablespoon sweet paprika
One teaspoon salt
One teaspoon black pepper
One teaspoon sugar or honey
1/4 cup healthy oil of your choice like canola
For garnish: Sliced Serrano or Jalapeno, chopped red onion, shredded Romaine lettuce, diced tomato, Mexican crema (sour cream), shredded soft cheese like jack or chihuahua, salsa verde, and salsa rojo, chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro, lime wedges
Serve the tacos with a side of lettuce and tomato, refried beans, fluffy rice, and warm tortillas
1) Bring oil to a boil in large high sided pot or fry pan. Season the meat with the salt and pepper and brown until juices are sealed in on all sides.
2) In a bowl mix together the minced bay leaves, chopped parsley or cilantro, onion, banana pepper, four chopped chipotles with a bit of the sauce, beef broth, lemon juice, lime juice, cider vinegar, honey, and cocoa.
3) Over the meat sprinkle the minced garlic, cinnamon, minced thyme, minced oregano.
4) Cook on high for one hour, and then reduce to low 8 to 12 hours. It works well to start this process early in the morning before work.
5) After work, warm your tortillas in a fry pan, the oven, or microwave. Prepare some rice and perhaps also your favorite beans. Make a simple green salad traditionally including shredded lettuce, tomato and onion as well as some of the flat leaf. Garnish your Ropa Vieja with the vegetables, onion, sour cream and flat leaf herbs.
May 4th, 2019
World Cuisine Today Magazine
Recipe Developed By: Sarah J Hall
All Rights Reserved