Irish Style Beef Stew
When in Ireland, eat as the Irish do! Here is a special recipe developed by World Cuisine Today Magazine: Irish Beef Stew. Try whipping up some blueberry scones or traditional Irish brown bread or soda bread to go with!
A Traditional Irish Beef Stew
Three pounds lean beef stew meat such as Eye of Round
One cup of chocolate flavored beer or Harp beer
Six cups organic beef broth
One pound of carrots peeled, scrubbed and diced
One parsnip peeled and diced (optional)
Three pounds of Russett pototoes cubed
Three fresh bay leaves minced
Three Tablespoons thyme minced
Two Tablespoons sage minced
Two Tablespoons flat leaf parsley minced
One celery stalk with leaves minced
Two cups diced tomatoes
Six large garlic cloves minced
One large yellow onion minced
One Tablespoon brown sugar
One Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
One Tablespoon HP sauce (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup melted unsalted Irish butter
1/4 cup olive or canola oil.
1) In a wide stew pot with a lid, or soup pot melt the butter and heat the oil. Brown the meat on all sides and take out with slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pan.
2) Saute the onion until transluscent along with the carrot and parsnip until slightly softened. Add the minced garlic and tomatoes. Add the minced herbs: thyme, sage, parsley and minced bay. Add the cubed potato and add back the meat. Add the sugar, Worchestershire and HP Sauce. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3) At this point add back in the meat, the broth, and the beer. Bring again to a boil then simmer.
4) Cover the pot almost completely and cook for two and a half hours, or until the meat is thoroughly soft and vegetables tender.
5) Serve in bowls with our favorite bread such as: Irish brown bread, Irish soda bread, Irish scones, or biscuits.
Recipe Developed By: Sarah J Hall World Cuisine Today Dece,ber 12, 2018