How to Make a Lamb or Beef Shawarma Sandwich worldcuisinetodaymagazine.com
In the Mediterranean and more broadly throughout the world, Shawarma sandwiches are very healthy and popular. If you like pulled Beef, Beef Fajitas, or Tacos, you will love an authentic Shawarma Sandwich. Shawarma is also a dinner entree, often served over Pice Pilaf and garnished with Tahini Sesame Sauce or Harissa Hot Pepper Sauce. Try the authentic recipe below to enjoy! Find more recipes from around the world at: www.worldcuisinetodaymagazine.com
Lamb or Beef Shawarma Pocket Pita
Two pounds Beef Sirloin, Eye of Round or Lean Lamb
1/8 cup fresh Tahini sesame drizzling sauce (recipe below)
1 1/2 cups fresh Lemon Juice
1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Six garlic cloves minced
One large Vadalia, or White Onion minced
One teaspoon ground Cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground Cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground White Pepper or Pink Pepper
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon sweet Paprika
Four fresh Roma tomatoes, or tomatoes on the vine finely chopped
One long Middle Eastern cucumber or two medium American cucumbers minced
One Red Onion minced
Two Tablespoons Mint or Basil
One tablespoon Labne yogurt, Greek Yogurt, or Tzatziki
Schug or Harissa Hot sauce
Slivered Radishes (optional)
Pickled Horiatiki Style Peppers or Jalapenos
Fresh Pita bread for grilling
1/2 cup minced Flat Leaf Parsley or Cilantro
1) Cut your Sirloin or Lamb into a fine dice or thin one inch strips
2) In a small bowl combine: Tahini, Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Garlic.
3) In a larger bowl, place the small meat strips. Mix the dried spices of: Cardamom, Cumin, Cayenne, White or Pink Pepper, Kosher Salt, and Sweet Paprika. Toss thoroughly with the mixture in step two.
4) Place a few tablespoons of Olive Oil in a wide fry pan. Spread the meat in one layer in the pan. Sprinkle with the same spice mixture as above to taste and sprinkle also with lemon juice. Lightly brown on all sides for about 15 minutes.
5) Take out the meat with a slotted spoon but leave the oil. Add the minced Onions and simmer, adding a few tablespoons of water as needed until softened and translucent but not brown or blackened. Sprinkle with additional seasoning if desired.
6) Add back the meat and a half cup of water. Simmer semi covered on a low heat. Remove from the heat and mix immediately with the Tahini Lemon Juice Mixture.
7) In a separate pan, lightly oiled, fry one at a time the pita breads and let puff up. Keep warm under a cloth on a plate or in a covered decorative serving dish.
8) Prepare your condiments: Fresh Schug hot sauce, Hummus, Tzatziki, Yogurt or Laban, diced Red Onion, minced Parsley or Cilantro, Pickled Peppers, and slivered Radishes if using.
2 1/2 cups roasted Sesame Seeds
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
Blend into a paste in a blender, food processor or hand mixer
Add water until just smooth. Set to the side for use, covered.
Schug Hot Sauce
Five green Serrano Peppers or two Banana Peppers or two Jalapeno Peppers
(Seeded and diced)
Juice of one large Lemon
One small bunch of Scallions minced
1/3 cup Parsley minced
1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic minced
One teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed Black Pepper
Serve family style with fresh lettuce and tomato if desired, and let your guests assemble their own hot sandwiches! Enjoy!
World Cuisine Today Magazine