How to Make Israeli Shakshuka For Breakfast or Brunch
Looking for something vegetarian for breakfast? Why not have a traditional Israeli one with Shakshuka. Spread this beautiful morning dish over a baguette, potatoes, egg noodles, sauteed spinach or Horta dandelion greens. To life!
Recipe for Shakshuka Eggs in Fresh Tomato Sauce
Eight tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Six jumbo sized eggs
Four cups diced fresh tomatoes
Two tablespoons tomato paste
One large yellow or white onion minced
One sweet red pepper diced
One half a large banana pepper diced
Three large garlic cloves minced
On teaspoon Kosher salt
One teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ceyenne pepper
1/2 half cup crumbled feta or Kefalograviera cheese
1/2 cup Labneh yogurt or Mexican style crema or creme fraiche
3 tablespoons fresh thyme
3 tablespoons fresh oregano
1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley or cilantro
1) In a large high sided skillet heat three tablespoons of the oil. Saute the onion until translucent. Next add the peppers and saute until soft. Add the garlic for thirty seconds to a minute more.
2) Next add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar to the mixture. Add all of the dried spices and three more tablespoons of the oil. Next add two Tablespoons each of the thyme and oregano. Simmer for ten minutes with the lid slightly on.
3) Crack five of the eggs around the perimeter of the pan. Save one egg for the center. They should lay on top of the sauce. Cover the pan almost completely for another five to seven minutes.
4) Open the lid and sprinkle with the fresh herbs and the parsley. Sprinkle with the cheese. Dab the top with a bit of the Labneh.
5) Serve the Shakshuka with your favorite hot sauce, or Israeli style Harissa hot sauce. A smooth Mexican style red or green salsa could also be used.
Serve with sauteed or boiled potatoes, crusty peasant bread, or sauteed hearty greens such as baby spinach, or dandelion greens.
Recipe Developed By: World Cuisine Today Magazine www.worldcuisinetoday.com August 31, 2018
All Rights Reserved