How To Make Traditional Potato Kugel
Nothing says a holiday quite like the side dish of a creamy delicious golden Potato Kugel. If you like hash browns you will love this dish. It goes well with just about any main course from fish to beef to lamb to chicken. So if you are stumped as to what to do with those potatoes this holiday, don't forget about the versatility of Potato Kugel this holiday season.
Recipe For Potato Kugel
6 Large Idaho Potatoes or Yukon Gold grated fine
Two large yellow onions grated
Four large eggs well beaten
One teaspoon sugar
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 bunch green onions tops only
1/2 bunch mint (optional) minced
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley minced
1 teaspoon ceyenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 cup potato starch
1 cup scalding hot whole milk or water
1) Wash grate and drain the potatoes and the yellow onions separately. Mince all of the herbs and green onion separately.
2) Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Sautee the onion in a bit of olive oil until golden and carmelized.
3) After squeezing out the liquid of the potatoes add the onion with it's cooking juices to the potatoes.
4) Beat the eggs and add the sugar and all the dried spices and herbs to the eggs. Mix in with the potatoes along with the five tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the entire mixture with the potato starch and mix to coat.
5) Pour on the scalding milk or water and mix again.
6) Pour the 1/4 cup oil into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan. Spread the potato mixture into the pan evenly. Bake for twenty minutes and then reduce the heat of the oven to 400 degrees until it is a deep golden brown.
7) Cut into squares or diamonds, garnish with some minced parsley and scallion. Serve hot with your main course. If you like your potatoes a little spicy, you could add a bit of Garam Masala, or Ras Al Hanout spice to our egg mixture.
Recipe Developed By: World Cuisine Today November 29, 2018 www.worldcuisinetoday.com
All Rights Reserved