How To Make Authentic Hummus, Fresh Tahini, and Tahini Drizzling Sauce for Sandwiches
No Mediterranean style breakfast in the Middle East region is quite complete without some freshly prepared Hummus (Chickpea bean spread with Tahini ground sesame paste). Your peanut butter, may take a back seat in the morning to some freshly chilled Hummus, drizzled with olive oil and fresh lemon, spread on some pita or fluffy baguettes. Pile in your meat or veggie patties and fresh vegetables, and you are good to go, Middle Eastern style!
Use the Hummus as the base condiment for your breakfast or lunch sandwich. Sandwich ideas range from shredded grilled chicken or lamb Shawarma, Kebabs, Kefte grilled meatballs, to Falafel chickepea vegetarian patties. Don't forget the fresh tomato, lettuce, onion, pickled turnips or hot peppers, and some Schug or Harissa hot sauce! These sandwiches are excellent drizzled with a little of the fresh Tahini mixed with some water, flour and lemon juice. Recipes below!
Recipe For Fresh Middle Eastern Hummus and Tahini Drizzling Sauce for Sandwiches
Ingredients For Hummus
Two cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned drain and rinse)
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
Four tablespoons Tahini sauce for hummus
The juice of one very large lemon
Four cloves of garlic minced
1/8 cup water
1/2 teasoon cumin
One teaspoon cardamom
One teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon ceyenne (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher style salt
1/4 cup flatleaf parsley
Ingredients to Make Tahini Sesame Paste
2 1/2 cups sesame seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
Method for Tahini Paste
1) To make the tahini drizzling sauce, take a small non stick pan, and place a bit of the oil to coat the bottom. Sautee the sesame seeds stirring frequently for five minutes.
2) Blend the toasted seeds in a blender with the olive oil for an additional five minutes.
Ingredients and Method to make a Tahini Drizzling Sauce for Sandwiches or a Salad Dressing
1) Take one cup of the freshly prepared tahini sauce. Blend in a blender with one half cup lemon juice, and one half cup water. Also add a pinch of kosher salt, and a few tablespoons of flour for thickening as well as two cloves of minced garlic and cracked pepper to taste. Add a pinch of sweet paprika if you like also. Whirl until smooth and set to the side.
To Assemble Your Hummus
1) Take the two cups of chickpeas rinsed and drained of any water. Season with the dried spices and set to the side.
2) Combine the four tablespoons fresh tahini with the lemon juice, and water. Mix thoroughly.
3) In a blender add both of the top ingredients, plus the garlic.
4) Next gently pour in the olive oil.
5) In a bowl, or on a sandwich plate or dinner plate spread out your Hummus. In a circular motion with the back of the spoon, make a deep indentation around the plate. It should look like a mote with the sides still high up.
To serve: Pour a bit of olive oil around the inside of the circular trough. Dust the entire plate with minced flat leaf parsley and sweet paprika. Serve with lemon wedges. You may also use the ground lemony spice Sumac, in place of the paprika. Serve with the sandwich fixings, and tahini, letting each guest prepare their own sandwich family style!
World Cuisine Today www.worldcuisinetoday.com July 28, 2018