How to Make Delicious and Nutritious Greens
Nothing tastes better with some buttermilk fried chicken than slow simmered greens. Traditionally can prepare them with ham, bacon, or smoked turkey wings. To make them vegetarian style by add a few teaspoons of Liquid Smoke.
Recipe For Healthier Greens
Two cups baby mustard greens cut into one inch square pieces
Two cups baby collard greens cut into one inch square pieces
Two cups baby spinach cut into one inch square pieces
One smoked Turkey leg or two wings diced into half inch pieces
One large white onion
Two large cloves of garlic minced
Two teaspoons Kosher salt
One tablespoon sweet paprika
One teaspoon ground cardamom
One teaspoon ground white or pink pepper
1/4 cup canola, or grape seed oil
Enough water, chicken or vegetarian low sodium broth to cover
1) Thoroughly rinse the greens and pat dry making sure there is no residual dirt or sand on the leaves.
2) Peal wash and mince the white onion and the garlic cloves
3) Dice your turkey leg if using or measure out two teaspoons of Liquid Smoke and set to the side
4) In a large soup pot or dutch oven place your chopped greens. Sprinkle with the minced garlic and onion, salt, paprika, cardamom, and pepper.
5) Pour the oil over everything and mix well. Saute on medium heat for one minute. Gradually pour in the broth or water until everything is submerged by one inch.
6) Simmer for an hour and a half first bringing to a boil and then reducing heat to medium low or to desired consistency.
Serve with our Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe, with Fried Fish, and some additional sides such as candied or mashed sweet potatoes, fried okra, or rice and beans.
World Cuisine Today Magazine
June 2, 2020